Comments: circumspection
Comments: circumspection

But, the thing is, for those folks it's a point of pride that they were at the Angry Inch. They want to distinguish themselves from us as much as we do from them. Many of us won't go anywhere on 18th except Pharmacy Bar, and the rest of us wouldn't go near Pharmacy Bar, because it's full of pretentious dirty, arty types who like Nation of Ulysses and wear black ripped sweaters. We're all self-segregating.

PS - Econ degree does not equal lame. Some of the coolest intellectuals of the last 200 years were economists.

Posted by: Ryan on April 7, 2006 09:58 AM

I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree, an economics degree does equal lame. In this topsy turvey world, it is the one thing I can cling to as true.

Posted by: Charles on April 7, 2006 10:07 AM

Charles posted that as a self-deprecating econ major, but I disagree with him. Anyway, I didn't mean to imply anything about econ majors in general. I could've said the same thing about psych, for example, which is very close to my own major: I think it's a fascinating and worthwhile discipline, but there's no question that psych departments are full of unserious people who don't really know what they're interested in, and just want a degree that people perceive as more useful than English.

Same thing with econ -- there are the real students, and then there are the people who just want an appropriate prelude for law or business school or working for their dad the VP.

And of course, to be clear, I used many, many shorthand slurs to get cheap laughs in this post -- I know folks who I really like and respect that are applying to business school right now, for example (although the list of people I know with both completed MBAs and intact souls can be counted on the fingers of one hand. the thumb is not a finger.).

Now, back to the shorthand slurs...

Posted by: tom on April 7, 2006 10:19 AM

for the record, I should probably disclose that I'm pretty sure I have at least one live version of Ants Marching on my iPod.

Posted by: tom on April 7, 2006 10:26 AM

You went to UVA, I think it's a condition of your degree that you must have at least one live version.

I, however, have seven distinct versions. I am experiencing an odd mix of pride and shame right now.

Posted by: Matt F on April 7, 2006 10:39 AM

well, perhaps seven is the magic number. I didn't specify.

Ryan, on your self-segregation point: I'd like to believe it, but I think St. Ex is a pretty strong counterexample. Jenna fucking Bush, man.

Posted by: tom on April 7, 2006 10:44 AM

At least Pierce hasn't been there, yet, at least as far as I know.

I think St. Ex may have long ago forfeited its cred, though. It's like a purple bar, where the red and blue barhoppers mix. How this supports my point, I don't know. My iPod has a recording of ants marching. Actual ants, man.

Posted by: Ryan on April 7, 2006 12:00 PM

St. Ex isn't just a clash of the under 30 urban crowds (hipsters v. hillsters, green v. blue and orange, etc), it's actually a sneak peak of what the last, agonizing stages of gentrification are going to look like, before the area becomes full-on white suburbia. On a recent, miscalculated trip for brunch, there were babies - BABIES EVERYWHERE. Women cooing. Overweight dads holding saliva dripping plastic toys. Strollers blocking every pathway to the blessed exit. I spent two hours thanking the sweet Lord Jesus for birth control.

Posted by: heather on April 7, 2006 12:26 PM

To be honest, the babies don't bother me. not at brunch, anyway. It'll happen to us eventually too, right? Hard though it may be, I'd like to be age-agnostic. People should be judged by the colorfulness of their skeins, not the content of their carriages.

(sorry, that was a stretch)

Posted by: tom on April 8, 2006 02:02 AM