Comments: express an opinion
Comments: express an opinion

Hi Express,

While endorsing Tom's list of grievances in general, let me quickly note that there is a not-insignificant bloc of treasured twentysomethings that does not appreciate Penny Arcade, and will only be irritated to see it emerge in yet another forum. To be clear: there has never been an actually funny Penny Arcade strip, in the same sense that there has never been a funny Mother Goose and Grimm. Not quite Beatle Bailey negative-funny—just not funny at all. I'm only saying so should the conversation turn in that direction.

Yours,
Kriston

P.S. Thanks for putting me in the bloglog that one time.

Posted by: Kriston on September 28, 2005 11:34 AM

What?! Heresy! I submit to you the latest strip. Okay, not hilarious, but the closing line about the snakes is good.

I wasn't really thinking of Penny Arcade, though. Too niche. Too much profanity. I'd like to see Bobbins (John A of ScaryGoRound's old strip) reprinted -- there's one idea.

But the best suggestion I could make would be to put explodingdog in the paper. It would be a total departure for the comics page, it'd reprint pretty well, and it's frequently in the right format for a single-panel comic. It's not always funny, but that's not exactly a departure from the status quo.

The Examiner should do a Liberality serial, of course.

Posted by: tom on September 28, 2005 11:44 AM

I like that "Bizarro" is included, since it doesn't run in the actual Post. I'm also a fan of Pearls Before Swine.

Posted by: The Red Line on September 28, 2005 12:03 PM

As Fred Durst might say, I think we can all be all in agreeance that there are not enough copies of express in those boxes. When I get to my bus stop on 16th and Harvard, the box is almost always empty. Sure if I get there before 8:30 there's usually a copy or two, but that would require me getting to work on time. I love you, e, but not that much.

Posted by: chrisafer on September 28, 2005 01:26 PM

Hey, at the U Street Metro, you can't even get the Post itself.

Posted by: Kriston on September 28, 2005 01:38 PM

I'm not even a gamer and I like Penny Arcade.

Posted by: ben wolfson on September 28, 2005 09:35 PM

Well said.

So true.

Thanks to RCR for the reference.

Posted by: Jinxy on September 29, 2005 03:22 AM