Comments: operation ceasefire
Comments: operation ceasefire

A little birdie told me that the group putting on the show actually turned down an offer from Death Cab—someone with the group hadn't heard of them. Another little birdie said that they are still in talks with Radiohead. Hail to the thief!

(Susan will be in town that weekend, so I probably can't make it.)

Posted by: Kriston on September 16, 2005 04:17 PM

if radiohead plays that thing, i will kill everyone.

Posted by: catherine on September 16, 2005 04:21 PM

Sounds intriguing...

Posted by: Michael on September 16, 2005 04:21 PM

Wow, that sounds like a good lineup. And the price is right. I'd be intrigued to see Ted Leo, never have before and I hear the shows are good.

And how the hell had someone not heard of Death Cab.

Posted by: Matt F on September 16, 2005 04:22 PM

Ted Leo does indeed put on a very good show. I do wonder how he'll be in a pseudo-festival setting, though. I suspect you really need to be in a small room where you can see how hard he's working to get the full effect. Still, the music will no doubt be great.

I still have a hard time believing someone who booked the rest of this show wouldn't know of DCFC, but Kriston's pretty well convinced me via email.

Posted by: tom on September 16, 2005 04:42 PM

IIRC the person who got the call from DCFC was not the person responsible for booking. Someone screwed it up before it got to the person who should have made the decision, apparently. It turns out that DCFC hates freedom so much that they were asking to play.

Posted by: Kriston on September 16, 2005 04:47 PM

I'll probably be there for part of it. I too have never seen Steve Earle. I have seen Le Tigre play several times, but never fail to be entertained by their choreographed dance moves, overproduced staging and the awesome, awesome butch lesbian pin-up calendars they always have for sale.

Posted by: Sommer on September 16, 2005 04:59 PM

I'll be there at least for Le Tigre -- their live show is unbeatable.

Posted by: Matthew Yglesias on September 16, 2005 05:40 PM

You two are like a blogging machine. Robert Scoble doesn't post as much...

Posted by: Tom Oakes on September 16, 2005 10:42 PM

that's nice of you to say. remember: quantity, not quality, is the zunta promise.

but actually, we go in fits and starts. we try to put something up every weekday, but sometimes things are a bit sparse.

Posted by: tom on September 17, 2005 12:23 AM

I was so torn about this -- Operation Ceasefire in DC or Sleater-Kinney in NYC? Despite my legendary love for S-K, I had been leaning towards Ceasefire because I've never seen Le Tigre when sources outside my control dictated that I be in NYC that weekend, making my decision for me. I picked up my Time Out last weekend and lo and behold -- Le Tigre is warming up for DC by playing a New York show this Sunday night! Woo-hoo! Sometimes the universe just loves ya...

Posted by: Becks on September 17, 2005 02:29 AM

I'm there. Let me know the details, would love to hang. Will probably also pass on the freedom hating details to the other guv'mint slaves I work with and form a posse.

Posted by: Kanishka on September 17, 2005 04:25 PM

Tom, I wasn't alluding to low quality - the quantity is what amazed me, but the quality is actually what keeps me coming back for more. Forgive my neglect of the finer points...

Posted by: Tom Oakes on September 17, 2005 09:28 PM

Hah -- don't worry, Tom. No offense taken. I was just being pointlessly self-effacing.

Posted by: tom on September 17, 2005 10:08 PM

Oh. My. God. Just got home from Le Tigre's warmup show here in New York and it was unbelievable. They really are as good as everyone says.

(My gay friend M, who I convinced to go under the agreement that I would go with him to the concert of his choice in exchange, didn't quite feel the same, though. Right after "What's Yr Take On Cassavettes" he turned to me and said "Bitch, you're goin' to Kelly Clarkson.")

Posted by: Becks on September 19, 2005 01:46 AM

Bitch, you're goin' to Kelly Clarkson.

Damn! That gets three snaps!

Posted by: Matt F on September 19, 2005 03:41 PM