yikes

posted by tom / April 06, 2006 /

I'm sure KAC is a perfectly nice person, but her advice on nightspots for meeting new people reads like my personal anti-manifesto. To be fair, I suppose I am pretty bad at making new acquaintances when I'm out for the evening.

But that doesn't change how much the Front Page sucks. Between the crowd and the taco bar, it provides more ways to catch hepatitis than any other venue in the city.

However, there is one good piece of advice buried in the entry:

Into java? Meet someone online, and then go on a coffee date, compliments of Yahoo! personals and Starbucks.

Suggested icebreakers: was Sun's decision to open-source the language too little, too late? Is there a compelling reason not to switch to C#? How big does your web app really have to be to justify the hassle of JSP development?

(By the way, Kelly, the J's supposed to be capitalized.)

Comments

Hahahahaha. I'm gonna have to try the Starbucks one one of these days....

Posted by: K on April 6, 2006 01:34 PM

Holy God, all those places are soooo very horrible. *shudder*

Posted by: Here's a Hint on April 6, 2006 02:08 PM

I'm fond of the Herpes Triangle, myself: Rumors (19th & M), Front Page (Dupont), and Tom Tom (Adams Morgan).

Posted by: Adrienne on April 6, 2006 04:19 PM

I was always told that the Herpes Triangle consists of Rumors, Mad Hatter, and Sign o' the Whale.

Posted by: Dennis! on April 6, 2006 04:35 PM

Will someone please explain to the uninitiated why we're supposed to care what this young lady's opinion is? I really don't get it.

And I'm with you, Tom; those places are gross. But maybe we just don't absolute addicts or party slaves.

Posted by: genevieve on April 6, 2006 05:48 PM

Don't you see, Tom, this is perfect advice for her blogreaders. These are exactly the people you want to avoid on a nice Saturday evening out, and now she's done all the work for you!

Posted by: heather on April 6, 2006 05:51 PM

The guy that sent that email to me is 21 ... I was trying to think of places a 21-year-old would like.

ha - glad you caught the java reference. I was trying to be sneaky.

Oh -- but PS and Absolute Addition are cool. I always have fun at their parties*.

*proof: http://216.93.185.156/pics/9/04-06-06/PLAY-092b.jpg

KAC

P.S. If you have better ideas, please send them to me. I like places like Lima, Mate, Degrees, Play, Spank, etc. Maybe you know places that a young guy would like?

Posted by: KAC on April 7, 2006 10:56 PM