I know, I know, I'm ridiculously late on this one. But I can't help reemphasizing my love for this Do They Know It's Halloween supergroup single. It works as satire, it works as pop, it works as a halloween party soundtrack. You should really go give it a listen. If you decide to buy it off of iTunes, though, I'd suggest avoiding any of the remixes other than MAYBE the one authored by ex-Unicorns Tha Corn Gangg.
We're not throwing a party this year, but this has still gotten me thinking about a Halloween mix CD. It's harder to come up with one than you'd think (assuming, of course, that you avoid awful and obvious choices like The Monster Mash). Striking a balance between campiness and spookiness is difficult.
Here's what I've got. Suggestions?
- NAHPI - Do They Know It's Halloween?
- Southern Culture On The Skids - Werewolf [taken from a Halloween compilation; it shouldn't really count]
- Bloc Party - Helicopter (Whitey Remix)
- Jeff Buckley - Witches' Rave
- Unicorns - Ghost Mountain
- Flaming Lips - Halloween on the Barbary Coast
- Michael Jackson - Thriller [obviously]
And that's it. Well, okay, if you've got video capabilities, you should really throw "Backstreet's Back" on there, too. But I still I feel like I'm missing something obvious.