slutoween

posted by catherine / October 17, 2005 /

okay, i know "halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it," but when you see costumes like these, you know shit is getting out of hand. you should just give up on the entire pretense of having a costume and dress yourself in a saran wrap mini skirt or something. i mean, the slutty ref? SERIOUSLY? and WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GO SLUT UP STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE? fine, rape my childhood. that's cool.

i had hoped to be leela, but frankly, i don't think any of my school friends have seen an episode of "futurama" in their lives, so the joke might be lost. any other suggestions?

UPDATE: quote from the thread:

I love how any uniform can be made into a Halloween costume if you cut off six inches and throw on some fishnets.

I'm skanky fast food girl! Skanky chef! Skanky doctor!

I want someone to get a pink suit, cut off the skirt and go as skanky Laura Bush.

Comments

Maybe there's some way to engineer a costume as an ironic commentary on the trend? Like: a nonsexy bass player chick?

(But with an idea that could actually be executed.)

Posted by: Kriston on October 17, 2005 04:44 PM

Nonsexy stripper? Wear a fat suit and put plus size lingerie on it. Somehow that strikes me as insensitive.

A tear-away loose sweatsuit? Eitherway you'd at least be warm.

Posted by: Julie on October 17, 2005 05:12 PM

You could go for the straight-up horror show.

Posted by: Kriston on October 17, 2005 05:28 PM

Someone's got to be the skanky nurse to my scuzzy doctor costume...

Posted by: Tomas on October 17, 2005 06:10 PM

Catholic schoolgirl with a long skirt?

Posted by: Matt Weiner on October 17, 2005 06:29 PM

Slutty teapot volumes 1-7 (note: I am doing my part to replace "[whatever] #1" with "[whatever] volumes 1-7" as the new internet phrase when something rules.

Posted by: Jake on October 17, 2005 07:19 PM

I'm kind of casting about for a costume myself... I'm just not feeling the frankenstein idea anymore. Also, it's probably too late for me to order the necessary negative ion generator.

Right now I'm leaning toward Donnie Darko. But I have a feeling a lot of other people have done that costume.

Posted by: tom on October 17, 2005 07:32 PM

One of my coworkers has decided to go as Yulia Tymoshenko. Not sure if that's more or less esoteric than Leela, but awesome, nonetheless.

Posted by: Sommer on October 17, 2005 08:22 PM

I was JUST HAVING THIS CONVERSATION. And by "just having", I mean talking about this every year of my life. I shit you not, there was a group of SEXY CAREBEARS at a party I went to last year.

Leela is excellent. I have a few ideas, but nothing really good, which is distressing. The Nabob has yet to decide between Robot Tiny Tim and Robot Rip Taylor. I think both involve confetti.

Posted by: the g. on October 17, 2005 09:43 PM

I'm trying to assemble a Team Zissou, but my Steve will be out of town and I don't know any women willing to go to a bar topless.

Posted by: jeff on October 18, 2005 01:36 AM

Leela is an excellent idea, I wish I had thought of it. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to party for Halloween this year, will people be partying on Monday night or the Saturday before?

Posted by: Julie on October 18, 2005 08:55 AM

I'm guessing Saturday, but honestly I don't actually know what I'm doing for it yet, partywise.

Posted by: tom on October 18, 2005 10:09 AM

Slutty boy costume? Put one of them naked on roller skates and he can be a pull toy.

Posted by: kate on October 21, 2006 04:40 AM

Last year I went as Mary Poppins, as a mother I can't very well go out with my kids dressed as Knicks cheer leader. Also, as a mother, it was my one chance to be "practically perfect in every way."

This year I'm thinking of going as Boudica, the anti-Xena warrior. She drove the Romans (temporarily) out of England after they killed her husband and raped her daughters. Some nasty almost dread style hair, unsexy leather warrior gear - authentic rather than Hollywood - and big laced boots with no heals. One son is Qui Gon Jinn and the other a ninja so in my tribe of pacifists we are tackling our own taboos.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the costume manufacturers like the sexy version of everthing because it uses much less material. And they are often vinyl instead of fabric. Not only do they make the wearer look cheap, they are cheap to make. Just a thought.

Posted by: greta on October 21, 2006 11:22 AM

You're right about the Leela costume. I did it a few years ago and only a few people got it, thought maybe it was too soon. Revamped it at work 2 yrs ago and only one person got it. The joke of that was I won the company costume contest that year, in spite of nobody knowing what I was supposed to be.

Posted by: Hillary on October 21, 2006 01:42 PM

my partner is dressing as Dorothy Vader and I as C3PO Box. if i need to explain, these ideas are not as good as we imagined, but trust me, they're not slutty.
sal